Health Alliance International and the People’s Health Movement are currently planning an exciting series of events in solidarity with International Day Against the Commercialization, Marketization, and Privatization of Health Care. The event, taking inspiration from similar actions in Europe and elsewhere, will be held on or around April 7, 2017 and will examine the problematic nature of private, for-profit healthcare and offer alternative models of health care services that ensure access and equity for all. The project will involve working with a dynamic group of health activists from Seattle and all over the globe and will be an excellent opportunity to gain advocacy experience.
We are currently looking for practicum students to:
- Assist HAI’s Advocacy Senior Program Manager in planning the content and overall structure of the event.
- Play a key role in reaching out to local partner organizations as well as with HAI and PHM’s network of partners in Seattle and beyond.
- Assist in researching case studies of successful anti-privatization efforts, both in the US and globally.
- Play a key role during the event itself, including logistics, coordinating additional volunteers as necessary, creating content, and potential presentation activities.
- Assist in follow-up efforts, including documentation of the event and additional action items that result from community organizing.
There is a good chance that the documentation of this event could be developed as a publishable article or chapter in a book, on which the practicum student will be listed as an author.
Experience in community organizing is preferred, but not required.
Please contact Julia Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-543-8382 if you are interested.